Shuswap Association of Writers
Based in Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada, on the shores of beautiful Shuswap Lake, the Shuswap Association of Writers (SAW) was founded in 2004 as a vehicle for organizing the Word on the Lake Writers’ Festival (formerly the Shuswap Lake International Writers Festival).
Since then, our role has broadened, and we offer other events throughout the year to inspire and support writers and readers in the BC interior.
The Shuswap Association of Writers’ mandate is to organize events to enrich cultural life in the BC Interior, especially the written and spoken arts. Specifically, the Shuswap Association of Writers has the following goals:
- To promote the best of Canadian literature and its creators in the community.
- To expand opportunities for all ages to enjoy and participate in the written arts through presentations and programmes.
- To provide educational opportunities for aspiring writers, readers and to add the exciting element of learning from widely known authors.
- To act as liaison between the civic and provincial authorities and the wider community regarding the strengths, needs of the reading and writing community and seeking the understanding of all participants.
- To foster interest and pride in the diverse cultural heritage of the community.
- To be a resource by providing information from all sources regarding literature and literacy.